Thursday, July 8, 2010

As Tears Go By...January 16, 2010

Hound Dogs everywhere . . . and those unaware,

I have been made aware that long time friend Edward “Ash” Kinney (NHS ’67) passed from this life in the first week of this new year 2010. Just days before receiving this news I had received correspondence from Edward through Facebook. He was reminiscing about days gone by in Newport and reflecting on shared memories of friends and family members. What a treat that ‘conversation’ was for me.

Being a freshman in high school at Newport in the ’66-’67 school year brought me into daily contact with the upper classmen that I emulated. And the fact that several seniors from that year ‘took me under wing’ was reassuring to a young pup trying to find his way. Don Kersey, Buddy Summers, Bobby Fife and Edward Kinney quickly come to mind when thinking about that year and the ‘crazy characters’ I had the good fortune to know. It was a time of ‘coming of age’ for me and these ‘older kids’ played an important role in that sense. I had played baseball with many of these older boys in Little League days….boys like Billy Goss, Anson Clark, Donny Combs, and Paul McGinnis appear in the shadows of my mind. Then there are the ‘leaders’ of my Boy Scout troop….names like Larry McAllister, Andy Gray, George Rogers, and Johnny Heard ‘pop up.’ Fun loving guys like Doug Adams, Junior Cathey, Larry Doyle, Terry Wooldridge, and Mick Umsted can’t be forgotten. Greyhound football ‘heroes’ like Bill Hubbard, Jimmy Don Nicholson, Michael Payne and Robert Runyan are remembered with adoration. All of these guys were ‘cool.’ And then there are the girls from that NHS class that still occupy my dreams…..Connie Cross, Alannette Hare, Linda McGee, Shari Stuart. Smiles I can’t forget belonging to Kaki Parker, Becky Travis, Pam Dean, Kaye Duncan, Cynthia Keedy, Carolyn Walker, Maurine Heard and Martha Hipp light up the memories of those days. What a class! What class they possessed!

I remember . . .

Edward Kinney was the ‘coolest of the cool.’ I’m confident that he didn’t think that, but I did. In recent years Edward had been living in Ft. Worth, TX. It is my understanding that the remains of his earthly existence have been laid to rest near his those of his parents in Batesville. I will miss receiving the occasional message from Edward that would so often take me back to a carefree time. I know you all will join me in bidding farewell to a good and caring friend. Memories of Edward have been carved into my heart. I ask that you keep his siblings, Karen (NHS ’61) and Franky (NHS ’64), and all other family members close in thought and prayer.

Edward is not the only one of those just remembered that has stepped away from life’s path. Billy Goss, Larry McAllister, Andy Gray and Johnny Heard wandered from the path some time ago. Faith assures me that all of our paths will cross again . . .

It is the evening of the day
I sit and watch the children play
Doin’ things I used to do
They think are new
I sit and watch
As tears go by
I’m Miles from Nowhere . . .

joe

1 comment:

  1. Holy Moly! Why didn't you tell me you have a blog now? It'll take me all day to catch up. Ha! So glad you've joined us in the land of the bloggers. Come visit mine sometime. Loved your last "Miles from Nowhere."

    ReplyDelete