Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hound Call Special...A Remembrance...October 14, 2008

Littermates and Newport Friends,

On Sunday I briefly reflected on walking into the first grade classroom of Mrs. Helen Shoffner at the Walnut Street School in Newport fifty years ago. It was a simple recollection of a time that I hold dear and the friendships that emanated from that experience. It was in that setting that I developed a sense of belonging to a greater good. I discovered that those around me were (and are) important to my being who I am. Mrs. Shoffner instilled in me the concept that learning is fun. She nurtured my curiosity, which continues to run rampant today. My relationship with Mrs. Shoffner did not begin and end with her being my first grade teacher. We went to the same church and I enjoyed regular visits with her during the time I lived in Newport in the 1980s. I have periodically stopped by for conversation on returns to Newport over the past several years. She has attended a few of our class get togethers as a special guest. Mrs. Shoffner has been a guiding light for me for the past fifty years.

Was it a coincidence that my thoughts wandered to that time fifty years ago when we embarked on our school days? I have heard that "coincidence" is God's way of remaining anonymous. I am thankful that His influencing touch brought those thoughts of a time filled with love and laughter to me on Sunday. I cherish the friendships we share.

Mrs. Helen Shoffner passed from this life yesterday, Monday, October 13, 2008. Dillinger's Funeral Home in Newport is in charge of arrangements. Family visitation will be Thursday, October 16 from 5:30-7:00pm. A memorial service will be held at the First Presbyterian Church on Friday, October 17 at 1:30pm. I know you all join me in holding Mrs. Shoffner's family in thought and prayer and memories of her forever in our hearts. Her light shines on!

Below you will find a postcard of Walnut Street School, a composite of Mrs. Shoffner's first grade class from the school year 1958-59, and a group picture of that same first grade class taken on the steps of Walnut Street School.

With love,

joe





No comments:

Post a Comment