Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hello Old Friend.... July 13, 2008


Hello old friend
It's really good to see you once again
Hello old friend
It's really good to see you once again

It is very good to "see" you again, or at least it is good to think of you out loud with deliberate key strokes as memories of "old friends" dash about in the limited space of my mind. The Miles' Files has accumulated a few cobwebs since I last sat down to talk to myself about you. My time management skills never have been all that good and they seem to be getting worse as life's clock just keeps on ticking. One would think that life in the Ozarks of north central Arkansas would crawl along at a slower pace than the rest of the crazed planet. I haven't found it to be slow at all, but that could have more to do with my approach to life than it does with the environment in which I live. Anyway I really miss not having regular visits with you. Whether such time together is realized through a preferred channel like a face to face personal visit or a phone call or whether it is felt through my fingertips and imagination in the context of an email or a letter is of little consequence. I simply cherish my time with old friends. In the present day whirlwind of instant gratification I have not yet mastered the art of text messaging. My digital dexterity is a lot slower than my brainwaves and my thumbs are a bit chubby, but I know it is the younger generation's number one method of communication. By the time I could get comfortable with texting there will be something new and improved being embraced by those who are just babies today. Regardless of the communication link, staying in touch with you rejuvenates my soul with each message.

Following my last Hound Call message sent through cyberspace I received a slew of congratulatory notes relating to my being elected Chairman of the Arkansas Bankers Association. These notes came in from old Hounds everywhere. Thanks to all from whom I have heard in the past few weeks. Each connection with an "old friend" brings me great joy!

As I am strolling down the garden path
I saw a flower glowing in the dark
It looked so pretty and it was unique
I had to bend down just to have a peek

Each relationship in our lives is unique with an attractive quality about it, a prettiness not unlike a flower. New relationships have a certain charm that often requires us to "bend down just to have a peek" in order to find out more. Established friendships are those relationships that have fully bloomed. They have a radiant appeal. When things are not going well in life, such an old friendship can be depended upon to light up your path. They glow in the dark. One does not have to be in another's physical presence to hold hands. We can do this in our minds, in our memories, in our prayers. We can do this by staying in touch with one another whether by phoning, emailing, text messaging, old fashioned letter writing, or just by thinking of an old friend. Old friends share thoughts even when they are separated, even if they may not hear or see the other for long periods of time. Let's catch up on some happenings in the lives of old friends that have been brought to my attention in recent weeks.

Robin Sibley Terry (NHS '68) is a beautiful grandmother. Her daughter Jennifer presented her with grandson Reeves Allen Aunspaugh born earlier this year. This wonderful news is accompanied by the fact that Jennifer and family will be relocating to Little Rock this fall when she will be taking a position with Arkansas Childrens Hospital. Jennifer has been on staff of pediatric anesthesia at Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital in Nashville for the past three years. Additionally Robin's son Bruce recently completed his degree in music composition from the University of Tennessee. Bruce is an accomplished musician. And all this news comes on the heels of knowing Robin's mother, and my dear friend and dance teacher extraordinaire, "Miss Bobbie" has moved back to Newport where this family story all began. I know Bobbie's sisters, Betty and Sissy, are glad she has returned to Newport. Welcome home Miss Bobbie!

Lindsey Elliott Roberts, daughter of Leanne Bennett Elliott (NHS '72) and my friend and fraternity brother Mike Elliott, is awaiting a kidney transplant. Lindsey has battled diabetes for many moons. As noted in a recent Hound Call Timothy Watson, Jr. (NHS '98), son of Tim (NHS '62) and Betsy Watson, is also in need of a kidney transplant. Timothy is continuing dialysis treatments. Please keep these two young people close to your hearts in prayer.

Jackie Grimes Baum (NHS '65) informs me that her son, Tory Robinson, has returned home to Missouri from Afghanistan. Serving in the Air Force, Tory has previously been deployed to Iraq and Pakistan. Upon his return home Tory discovered that recent flood waters had destroyed much of his personal possessions. He and his family have been able to find another apartment and are putting their lives back together with the aid and assistance of family and friends. Blessings abound!

Tim McDowell (NHS '69) has let me know that his son, Sergeant Jeff McDowell, is to be reactivated by the Marine Corps in October. Such news makes me ever mindful of the service and sacrifice of so many men and women in support of the freedoms all of us cherish and enjoy. I offer thanks to them!

Littermate Kristine Artymowski celebrated her third annual fifty-fourth birthday on June 1 with a big bash in Austin, Texas. Musician Jimmy Lafave entertained the euphoric crowd and Kristine charmed them with a poetic reading. I know a good time was had by all in attendance because I have an eye witness account from fellow classmate Margaret Ann Gillihan Snow and some pictures to prove it. I am hoping Kristine continues to have these parties so that I can eventually get to one myself. There is nothing as much fun as celebrating special occasions in the company of old friends.

Recalling Kristine's birthday bash leads my thoughts to others in the NHS Class of 1970. Cherry Smith Johnson's dad, Leroy Smith (NHS '50), is scheduled to undergo heart surgery on July 15 at Baptist Hospital in Little Rock. Cherry is the official "Mama Hound" of our high school class and I know all will join me in keeping her dad and their family members in our thoughts and prayers at this time. Sharon Stites Kimery welcomed grandson Blaine Marshal Kimery, her first grandchild, earlier this year. Drew Stewart's daughter Brittany is expecting a child in September that will make Drew a grandfather for the third time. Mike Brand is doing well following completion of his series of chemotherapy treatments. To add to this good news of Mike's restored health, his and Kay's son Michael will marry Julia Davenport on August 2. Happy news indeed! Mary Wynne Parker Perryman's daughter Melissa graduated in May from the University of North Carolina under a blue Carolina sky and the watchful eye of her delighted mother. Mary Wynne's battle with cancer is a truly remarkable story and we all celebrate with her. Mike Wilhite's mother, Geraldine, passed from this life a few weeks back. There was always a sparkle in Mrs. Wilhite's eye that gave insight to her soul. I ask that you hold the Wilhite family close in your hearts. Ruth Johnston's sister, Martha (NHS '64), is scheduled for a final chemotherapy treatment tomorrow, July 14, in her cancer fight. Ruth reports that Martha has faired well throughout her regimen of treatments. I urge continual prayer for all who may be experiencing illness or a personal dilemma of any kind. Before I leave thoughts of my 1970 classmates I want to point out that my daughter, Evelyn, is expecting a little girl in October. This addition to our family is sure to expand our hearts and open them to more abundant love. I am certain that some of these tidbits concerning my littermates have been previously reported in a Hound Call e-newsletter, but they are worth repeating.

I saw you walking underneath the stars
I couldn't stop 'cause I was in a car
I'm sure the distance wouldn't be too far
If I got out and walked to where you are

Life is busy. The pace is swift. Pages from the calendar become another yesterday in rapid succession. Is life too busy with the mundane things that have to be done rather than that of pleasurable pursuits? I don't think so, but finding the balance is often the missing piece of the puzzle. I sometime struggle with realizing when to slow down, stop the car, get out and enjoy the moment. When I do, the best memories are made. A couple of weeks back my duties with the Arkansas Bankers Association took me for the first time to Pennsylvania. Kathryn and I enjoyed a few days attending a conference at the Hotel Hershey in Hershey, Pennsylvania, the sweetest place on earth. The scent of chocolate is always in the air.

Of course we took in Chocolate World and witnessed a thrilling fireworks display over Hershey Park in celebration of the Fourth of July. We took a short drive to Harrisburg to see the National Civil War Museum and ended up spending the entire afternoon there until we were ushered out at closing time. I have an overwhelming interest in history thanks in large measure to the fine history teachers I had while attending school in Newport. I offer special thanks to Betty Taylor, Bob Powell and Butch Duncan (yes, I did say Butch Duncan . . . I learned a lot of things from Coach Duncan!!!). I have a particular affection of Civil War history. So following the time in Hershey, we drove the 45 miles to Gettysburg for two days of roaming this place recognized as a critical turning point in the War of Northern Aggression. I must say I was mesmerized by this experience. Kathryn and I had a personal tour guide of the battlefields arranged by the proprietors of the bed and breakfast where we stayed. Our guide, John Weixler, a former banker from Vermont, held my complete attention for two and a half hours explaining the strategies and tactics pursued by both sides in the Battle of Gettysburg. John told us of the only Arkansas regiment present at Gettysburg. The Arkansas Third Infantry Regiment under the command of Colonel Van Manning fought as part of the Texas brigade in General John Bell Hood's division. Now I'm thinking that my scoutmaster at Newport, Van Manning, is a descendant of Colonel Manning who fought with distinction at Gettysburg. Kathryn and I walked these fields and observed the many monuments to those who served in this significant battle on the eve of its 145th anniversary. This coincidence put us in the company of a vast number of Civil War reenactors present in the town for this anniversary. It was a really cool experience.

From Gettysburg we drove to Philadelphia for a couple of more days of reliving the history of our nation's quest for independence. Sightseeing in Philadelphia is walking in the very footsteps of our Founding Fathers. Viewing Independence Hall, Carpenter's Hall, the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross' house and the like captured my fancy. The awesome architecture of the First Bank of the United States and the Second Bank of the United States made quite an impression. I was a bit saddened to find these historical bank buildings mostly vacant at the time of our visit. All in all my heart was captured by our time in Pennsylvania. Our walking tours of Gettysburg and Philadelphia were fascinating.

To know that the blood shed on the fields around Gettysburg helped keep our country united and that the bold and gallant efforts put forth by the Continental Congress and men like George Washington, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson on the street corners and in the storied buildings of early Philadelphia secured our nation's independence gives me further appreciation for the men and women who continue this fight for freedom today on foreign soil in Iraq and Afghanistan. It brings me thought of old friend James Eddie Simmons (NHS '69) and the sons of Jackie Grimes Baum and Tim McDowell who serve so well. It raises remembrance of the many who have fought for freedom in great wars across the ages. My eyes well up with tears as I give thanks for their service.

An old man passed me on the street today
I thought I knew him, but I couldn't say
I stopped to think if I could place his frame
When he tipped his hat I knew his name

Periodically I meet someone somewhere that I think I know. Often I stare at them awaiting a mannerism or a smile that I might recognize. Usually I will approach them to discover if my suspicions are accurate and I, indeed, know the name. If it has been a while since our paths have crossed and we do meet in an as yet unknown place, I ask that you please excuse my stares. I just may be the "old man" depicted in Eric Clapton's lyrics for "Hello Old Friend" penned in 1976 that you think you know. I just love it when I meet an old friend. Speaking of meeting up with old friends, I want to express sincere appreciation to a number of folks who have taken the time to drop me a line in recent weeks. Thank you Susan Wise Simmons (NHS '66), Betty Altom Fuglestad (NHS '62), Missy Sink Watson (NHS '72), Edward Kinney (NHS '67), Judy Huey Manning (NHS '72), and long time Newport residents and dependable old friends Nancy and Jack Hagberg for the personal notes. I ask that you always stay in touch.

I regret that I will miss the annual Newport Invitational golf tournament this year for the first time since 1983. The weekend conflicts with a bank conference I must attend. I can assure you I would rather be in Newport. In my absence long time playing partner and pal Greg Hubbard will team up with good friend Mike Turner for this golfing reunion of many old friends and old Hounds. Both Greg and Mike are Jackson County dogs of a different color (Tuckerman Bulldogs). I know littermates David Sibley, Jim Reid Holden, Mike Brand, and John Sink will be playing in the tournament. I will raise a glass of good cheer and tip my hat in thinking of my old friends as they share laughter and love over these three days of fun and games.

Before I sign off I want to bring up the subject of the Friendship Chain recommended to me by Jack Payne (NHS '64). Seek out and reconnect with five old friends. With each connection, encourage that friend to seek out and reconnect with five more old friends. With such action we can possibly build up a strong network of old friends that can lift our spirits at any time anyone may be in need. Forward their contact information to the Miles' Files.

Hello old friend
It's really good to see you once again
Hello old friend
It's really good to see you once again

Until we meet again, I'm Miles from nowhere . . . guess I'll take my time . . .

joe

No comments:

Post a Comment