Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just Us Kids...July 7, 2010

Last evening while sitting on the deck of our unfinished home overlooking the White River near Norfork just as the sun was setting over the Ozarks, my wife Kathryn asked if I ever thought of wanting time to stand still. I paused. In that moment time seemed to stutter a bit. Lightning bugs glittered as darkness approached. A hazy mist rose up from the river below the bluffs. My mind drifted downstream toward Newport.

Forty years ago this past May the Newport High School class of 1970 cleaned out our lockers, bid farewell to the hallowed halls of NHS, and scampered away from Remmel Park. We closed the book on our time together as high school classmates. On graduation day, each of us clutched our diploma in one hand and held tightly to our personal ambitions in the other. The future was sitting in front of us much like a strong drink, a mixture of uncertainty and excitement. I was ready to gulp it down. Just like many kids, I was eager to step away from the limits of a small town.What did I know? I was eighteen. But the thoughts of escaping the small town life had been brewing since junior high as I watched the older 'kids' step out beyond the Newport city limits to pursue life.

James McMurtry penned a song about small town kids yearning to strike out on their own and searching for success entitled "Just Us Kids" released in 2009. McMurtry is the son of novelist Larry McMurtry of "Lonesome Dove" fame. If you aren't familiar with James McMurtry's music, I think you have a hole in your world that needs filling. I will share a few lines from
"Just Us Kids."

It's just us kids hangin' round the park at night
Hangin' round 'neath the vapor light
We got no drugs and we got no guns
Not even botherin' anyone

Hanging out in the shadows of the street lights in and around Remmel Park was a favorite pastime of Newport boys in the '60s before we were driving age. Of course, most of us were driving before we were 'driving age,' but that is beside the point. We gathered as kids in the dim light near the Legion Hut to dream and scheme. Typically there would be a little beer or cheap whiskey consumed that 'improved' our knowledge of things. As an early teen the 'drug culture' was something I had only read about going on in the far away sideshows of Haight-Asbury and Greenwich Village. As far as firearms were concerned I was toting my Daisy BB gun round about then. More of James McMurtry's lyrics makes me wonder if he were listening in on some
of those Remmel Park conversations............


Oh knock it off Johnny
Man, you're livin' in your head
You ain't even got a car
And those chicks don't believe a word ya said


I didn't have a car in high school. My parents were very generous in allowing use of the family car, but more often than not I was a passenger in the Pennington boys' 1957 Chevrolet. Our soundtrack was the night's playlist on WLS, the clear channel AM radio station in Chicago. And we always had Ben E. King's "Stand by Me" playing on the eight track. If not with the Pennington boys I was often hitching a ride with Mike Brand, Jim Reid Holden, Donny Appleton, John Brownd or Mike Fortune. Just us kids cruisin' around town, circlin' our favorite haunts, lookin' for the usual suspects, wantin' to see and be seen. We were pretty good kids, yet we were also pretty good at creating a bit of mischief. It was our own Arkansas brand of "American Graffiti," the 1973 George Lucas 'coming of age' film set in early 1960's California. In my mind it is difficult to grasp that such days are forty plus years removed from today. But then I'm one of those kids who spends a fair amount of time 'livin' in my head.' Songwriters like James McMurtry add color to my visions. Their words bring form to my abstract imagination. Their music brings clarity to my clouded memory. I'm thankful for the talented songwriters and musicians who bring happiness to my heart. I'm thankful for my many friends who took me with them on benign car rides around town as we were 'coming of age.' As for the 'chicks,' they still don't believe much I have to say.

After high school we scattered. Yeah, our paths would crisscross on occasion. But then time and distance extended the separation for many and contacts were few and far between. We developed new relationships, new circles of friends. We settled down in new places, pursued careers. Some married, families unfolded. We were following dreams. Some dreams were realized. Some dreams shattered.
I don't have to wear a necktie
I don't have to punch a clock
I started up a dot com company
And man it rocks
Won't you come with me down to Mexico
In the winter with some friends?
My divorce will be final
Along about then
We were a little out in front of the 'dot com' era, so I don't know anyone who actually "started up a dot com company." However, I do know several who invested in some 'start ups.' How did that work out for you? But back to us....... McMurtry's lyrics depict a time leading up to a ten year or twenty year high school reunion, bragging a little about being one's own boss, but still needing the support of friends when personal troubles loom. Each of us has encountered the peaks and valleys of life experience. The ride on life's roller coaster is a personal journey. I've been in the banking business for 34 years now working and living in the likes of Little Rock, Newport, Arkadelphia, Russellville, and Mountain Home. I have wonderful and reliable relationships all over Arkansas as a result of this vagabond experience. "I don't have to wear a necktie," although I do much of the time. I find it easier to dress up than it is to dress down. Early in my career I was expected to wear a coat and tie every day to work, but that was then and this is now. Never have had to "punch a clock," but I do like the orderliness of a defined work day and typically observe the 'eight to five' regimen. My dreams did not include banking as a career path, but I needed a job upon finishing college and banking had a 'help wanted' sign hanging on an open door. When I was "hangin' round 'neath the vapor light" in Remmel Park as a youngster, I thought I would be an architect or a professional baseball player. My dreams failed to recognize the talent quotient required for such pursuits. And yes, 'my divorce' that capped my first marriage was final about fifteen years ago. In the midst of rebuilding life after divorce, I discovered that love is friendship caught afire. Kathryn and I recently celebrated our thirteenth wedding anniversary. Her influence in my life inspires me to reach beyond that within my grasp. It is the challenge of living that lights my fire and Kathryn that keeps it burning.

Much like the river we grew up alongside, life is rich in the many tributaries that feed it. Often we find much more pleasure in the tiny streams flowing into the main channel than we do in the mainstream itself. Recognizing that every job, every endeavor, every individual is important to
the well being of all is a key ingredient to being happy with one's self. Picture me happy!

Just us kids in the parking lot
Out here givin' it all we got
We don't want to get old and die
And there ain't nothing we wouldn't try

When we were teens hangin' out "in the parking lot" of Jack's Dairy Cup, Shelby's, Dog 'N Suds, or in our personal 'parking' lots on the 'other side of the levee' or out near Gamble Lake, I'm confident growing old never entered anyone's mind. Many of us lived on a dare. Testing the limits is in the DNA of a teenager. We were never aware of all the risks in any risk taking venture. Not all of us survived to witness the world forty years after graduation date. I really miss those friends now beyond the reach of a phone call, an email message, or a Facebook posting.

In my last writing about six months ago, I mentioned Edward "Ash" Kinney's passing from this life. A few weeks after that notice of Edward's death, family and friends gathered to remember his life. In addition to his sister, Karen, and brother, Frank, several dear friends stood in the Batesville cemetery near the final resting place of Edward's parents to commemorate his journey. Alannette Hare, Cynthia Keedy, Becky Travis, Beverly Brownd, Carolyn Wright, Betty Umsted, Beverly Washam, David McIntosh, Mick Umsted, Gay Lacy, Junior Baker, Justin Rutledge, John Brownd, and I jumped into our time machine and landed somewhere between 1961 and 1967. What a trip! From the cemetery we wandered over to Josie's Steakhouse on the banks of the White River where Karen shared photo albums and a slide presentation of pictures from the past. Edward was there with us in our hearts. Several recounted stories of precious days long gone. My earliest encounter with Edward was when I moved to South Main Street in 1959, just a block from the levee on the south side of town. The Kinney family lived on Park Place just a short distance from where the levee turned back east to run alongside Highway 14. The 'other side of the levee' was the personal playground for all the kids on that side of town, but the older boys ruled the domain. At times when the pace got a little fast for me as one of the younger pups, I remember Edward always being there to make sure I didn't fall behind. We had a favored hollowed out tree that was our resting place in that enchanted forest. Not long before his death, I received an email message from Edward recalling that favorite spot on the 'other side of the levee' and the adventurous times we shared in that place as young boys. Underneath his cool image and behind the dark glasses was a compassionate heart and perceptive eyes. The last message I received from Edward in Facebookland remains in my inbox. It arrived the day before I learned of his death. I miss those reminiscent 'conversations' with a caring friend.
Edward did not "get old and die," he remains 'forever young' in my heart and mind.

Another who did not "get old and die" is my dear friend Margaret Van Dyke. She departed this life in February at 104 years of age, but she never did "get old." Margaret knew nothing of a 'generation gap.' Her jovial attitude was contagious and she infected each and every soul fortunate enough to visit her world. Love and laughter burst forth in her presence. Our trips to St. Louis to watch the Cardinals play baseball are now cherished memories. She will be remembered as one of Newport's genuine treasures. Her passion for life and her unique style can't be copied, they can only be admired. Margaret carved her initials into my heart long ago. My memories of times with Margaret are mine and they are everlasting.

In remembering those who influenced the direction of my life's pathway, the name of Ima Jean Paige rings loud and clear. Mrs. Paige was my typing teacher and my bookkeeping teacher. These are skills polished under her watchful eye that I use repeatedly in the work a day world forty plus years after she first insisted that I type the phrase, "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" over and over again. Mrs. Paige set high standards for her students and expected them to surpass those standards. Her 'firm but fair' approach to managing the classroom can be recognized in my management style. While demanding discipline, Mrs. Paige maintained an engaging wit. She cared about her students and her caring was very evident. I remind you that she and her husband owned and operated Jack's Dairy Cup, one of the favored after school 'hang-outs' for 'us kids.' She was always watching our every move both in and out of school. She left NHS following my senior year. She left this life just weeks ago. Thank you Mrs. Paige for watching over me and pointing me in the right direction.

I also note the passing from this life of Mary Lynn Pinkett (NHS '71) and Dena Nicholson (NHS '68). Their lives have been extinguished, but their smiles burn brightly in our hearts. And I reflect on the life of Sina Robinson, the mother of Bob (NHS '60) and Bee (NHS '64), who was my mother's dear friend and co-worker as well as a genuine sweetheart. I express sincere appreciation to Suellen Hare (NHS '71), Joe Peters (NHS '68), and Jane Roberts (NHS '64) for making me aware of these Newport souls who have taken the step into the realm of life everlasting.

We are growing older, but in my youthful mind we will always be just kids. This world in which we live is fraught with peril on many fronts......physical, environmental, financial. As kids we lived in the era of the Cold War and its threat of atomic bombings and nuclear fallout, we experienced the unrest of the Civil Rights movement, we were exposed to the debates about air and water pollution. Our country was being financially challenged with costs associated with an expanding space program, the advent of social programs like Medicare and food stamps, and an escalating war effort in Vietnam. Similar issues remain in the headlines of today's news sites. The looming risks to our well being are persistent.

Some dear to us face personal battles with illness, job loss, marital strife, and other life issues. At this moment two of our littermates from the NHS Class of 1970 can use the power of collective prayer. Just today I learned that childhood friend and playmate Mary Wynne Parker had an unexpected surgery Sunday to address abdominal blockage caused by recurrence of cancer. Her husband, Grady, reports that her surgery went well and following recovery they will readdress chemo treatments to continue the fight against the cancer. Sweet and gentle friend Betsy McCall is struggling with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and dementia. Betsy's sister Bridget (NHS '69) has created a blog at http://www.betsyblog57.blogspot.com/ to heighten awareness to Betsy's progress. Mary Wynne and Betsy were two of the kids in my first grade class at Walnut Street School under the tutelage of Mrs. Helen Shoffner. I'm also aware that Mike Payne (NHS '67) is valiantly fighting cancer in the same determined fashion as he battled opponents on the football field or baseball diamond. I know there are others boldly facing health challenges, so I ask that we lift up in prayer those known and unknown enduring the hardships of living.

One other person in need of prayer is my former junior high principal and scoutmaster, Bob Guthrie. Mr. Guthrie recently entered Pioneer Nursing and Rehab Center in Melbourne. He has vigorously fought Parkinson's disease for many years. I visited him last weekend and reminisced about camping trips of days gone by. He introduced me to fly fishing on Sylamore Creek. I recalled us watching a deer swim the White River near Guion. He used to entertain us on campouts with his fiddle and harmonica. Remembering those times together, Mr. Guthrie asked if I would hand him the harmonica lying on his bedside table. He played a few bars and tears welled up in the corners of my eyes. We talked a bit about fellow scouts and the other troop leaders, Van Manning and Bill Hobbs. Not only was Mr. Guthrie my school principal and scoutmaster, he was my neighbor on South Main Street. He and his family moved from Newport in 1967 and eventually settled in Melbourne. I know he would appreciate a card or letter from former students and scouts. You can reach him at Pioneer Nursing and Rehab Center, 1114 East Main St., Melbourne, AR 72556.

Growing older has its challenges, but it also has its rewards. Children and grandchildren embody both the challenges and the rewards of aging gracefully.
Ya know we could really have it all
Our kid's gonna graduate next fall
I could take retirement in ten years
It's a damn short movie
How'd we ever get here?

Life is indeed a "short movie." It's drama, comedy, fantasy, action packed. We mark our time in significant life events......graduation (our own and that of our children and grandchildren), employment, marriage, childbirth, retirement. Getting from point A on life's timeline to point B is somewhat of a mystery, even to the time traveler himself. That question, "How'd we ever get here?" is a great question with a myriad of answers. I would enjoy pondering over your answers to that question.

The opening credits of our life's movie began to roll forty years ago upon our graduation from Newport High School. I feel as if I got up to go to the concession stand and just returned to my seat in the theatre today wondering what I missed in such a short period of time. Can retirement actually be on the horizon? With the kids out of school and married, how many grandchildren will be introduced to the world's magic as well as to its perils?

I now have two grandchildren....one year old Claire and four year old Oliver. And Oliver is expecting a baby brother later this month bringing the grandchild count to three. How did I ever get here? Not totally sure, but I do know that each of you accompanied me on part of my trip to this point. I began scribbling these reminiscent messages, dubbed the Miles' Files by Mama Hound Cherry Lou Smith, ten years ago as a means to encourage you, my littermates, to attend our thirtieth class reunion. It was not my intention to continue the writings following that reunion. But many of you encouraged me to keep on keeping on and ten years after (Ten Years After, now there is a great English rock band of our time) here we are. These 'short stories made long' about my hometown of Newport and its people have proven good therapy for me. I appreciate you tagging along with me whenever you can.

If ten years have passed since I first jotted down some memories of times past in Newport, then another grand get together must be upon us. It is wonderful to know that we have leaders on the ground back home setting the stage for our fortieth Greyhound reunion. Littermates Billie Jean Nelson, Jamie Hopkins, and Buddy Rutledge are the master planners for the main event scheduled for September 25, 2010 at the Newport Country Club. The kennel gates will swing open at 6:00pm. The price to participate in the fun and games is $25.00 solo or $40.00 to bring a mate. Please send your entry fee to Buddy Rutledge, c/o Rutledge Electric, P. O. Box 36, Newport, AR 72112. RSVP by August 20, 2010. For those of you who did not take Mrs. Artymowski's French class, RSVP is an acronym for a fancy French phrase meaning "please reply." In other words, let Buddy know if you will be or won't be in Newport attending the reunion on September 25. Come as you are. After all, it will be 'just us kids' and a pack of old Hound dogs hangin' out.

I have some news................

My daughters have collaborated to establish a blog site for me as a platform to continue my remembrances and to offer my perspective on life then and now. The site is still under construction, but you can now access it at http://www.miles-from-newport.blogspot.com/.

Keeping up with changing email addresses for the many recipients of the Miles' Files has become a big challenge for me. The blog site will ease the delivery of my scribbled thoughts. All of the 'stories' from the past ten years will be available on the blog as well as some additional writings.
The Miles' Files will also continue to be posted on the NHS alumni site at http://www.nhsalumni.net/.

Following the distribution of this missive I will not be mass emailing future 'stories.' I am indebted to my daughters for the time they have devoted to putting the Miles from Newport site together. Thanks to them for facilitating this next chapter in the annals of the Miles' Files. Also I appreciate friends Janie Blagg (NHS '69) and Pat Dallas (NHS '73) for their encouragement in adopting the blog concept. I invite you to drop in for 'conversation' in the Miles from Newport forum at any time you so desire. I truly depend on you to keep me informed of happenings in our collective lives that we all hold dear, so I'm hopeful that all of you will choose to follow my blog and leave comments and personal news on my door step. The door to my blog will always be unlocked. Come on in. Stay a while. In the event you don't find me at home when you come callin', you may find me wandering the streets of Facebookland.

Just us kids hangin' out today
Watchin' our long hair turnin' gray
Not so skinny maybe not so free
Not so many as we used to be

Yeah, it is very apparent that "our long hair" from the early '70s is a bit shorter and is indeed "turnin' gray." Likewise, most of us aren't as skinny as we used to be. And it is true that our freedom has been challenged from that time forty years ago when dogs ran free in Remmel Park.

Individually, the responsibilities of family and work captures a lot of the 'free time' we took for granted when we were high school students. As a nation, the repercussions of September 11, 2001 have infringed upon certain freedoms we once enjoyed without much thought. This past Sunday was the Fourth of July, Independence Day, a day when we celebrate the freedoms our forefathers fought to achieve. Today there are young soldiers continuing the fight for freedom on battlegrounds in Iraq and Afghanistan. I thank them for their service and their sacrifices and I share concern for their safety alongside their parents, grandparents, and other loved ones.

So here we are. "Not so many as we used to be."

In contemplating a response to Kathryn's question posed last night about my ever wanting time to stand still, I answered with silence. In certain instances I'm tempted to say "yes." But if time were to stand still at some definite point, I might not be where I am today. And I like where I am.

I'm Miles from Nowhere, and just about 100 Miles from Newport....................guess I'll take my time.

joe

2 comments:

  1. GREAT post dad!!! You did it by yourself:)! You DO love some facebookland too:)! Love you and we're so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miriam Hunter MooreJuly 15, 2010 at 3:38 PM

    My favorite date back in the late 60's was going to the show (where owner Edith Evans, a very sweet lady, walked down the isle periodically with a flashlight and surprisingly kept wonderful order-one could actually watch the show) and then cruising Dog N Suds, not only to see but to be seen like you said. Back then, I wouldn't have traded tickets from the theater district in New York City for that experience!

    ReplyDelete