Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hound Call...March 23, 2008

Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone
(opening line of "Fire and Rain," James Taylor, 1970)

Journey's end - It is with sadness that I report the passing from this life of friends. Andy Gray (NHS '67) succumbed to cancer on March 10. He leaves his wife, Linda, two daughters, a grandson, brother David (NHS '73), and his mother Helen. I regret I was not able to attend funeral services for Andy, but I do appreciate David phoning me while I was in Washington, DC on business to make me aware of Andy's passing. I know that Phil Madison (NHS '68) and Gene Bennett (NHS '70) represented all Hound Dogs of Yore well at Andy's funeral. Phil informed me that the opening verses of the third chapter of Ecclesiastes were recited at the service taking him back to a time when we were young listening to these same words in the Byrds' tune "Turn, Turn, Turn." Of course this song was one Andy loved and listened to often. Andy has been most encouraging in recent years as I attempt to share thoughts of our hometown of Newport then and now with Hounds of all ages. Andy and Linda moved from Mountain Home to Eureka Springs just as I was arriving in Mountain Home. Andy and I shared many experiences in days gone by . . . church, Boy Scouts, mischief making. I can still "see" him darting in and out of the "mosquito mist" on his bicycle as we chased behind the truck fogging the streets with mosquito repellant. I will miss Andy's encouraging words and his pleasant grin.

Shirley Rhodes Umsted (NHS '66) left this life on March 20 after an extended illness. She is survived by her husband, Mick Umsted (NHS '67), two daughters, a grandson, her mother, Sybil, and her sister (and my precious pal) Nancy Rhodes Fountain (NHS '70). Following the previous Hound Call where prayer had been requested for Shirley, Jack Payne (NHS '64) asked for her email address so they could "visit." I do hope that he was able to make contact with Shirley. Her bubbly personality will be missed by all who knew and loved her.

Theresa Ringuet Cossey (NHS '64) died March 3 following a long and courageous battle with cancer. Her classmate Maye Dale Gordon Anthony alerted me to Theresa's reaching her journey's end. I did not personally know Theresa, but it is apparent she was sweet of spirit. Her passing will certainly leave a hole in the hearts of her friends.

Lost . . . and Found - I truly appreciate all who have responded to the "Lost and Found" feature of Hound Call. Pam McKee Moore (NHS '71) has provided me a "good" email address for Susan Skaggs Washington (NHS '71). Both Mary Rachel Johnston Shankles (NHS '66) and Les Cooper (NHS '65) sent information about Doug Lambert and his sister, Ann. It appears that the Lambert family moved to McComb, Mississippi in 1961. None of us know the present whereabouts of this former Newport clan. More help is needed.

Betty Altom Fuglestad (NHS '62) is asking Hound Call to assist her in tracking down her former classmate Johnny Fortner. The Fortner family must have left Newport sometime in the late '50s. I believe there was some junior high shenanigans going on between Betty and Johnny. Puppy love??? If anyone has any info about the whereabouts of Johnny Fortner, please reply to Hound Call. I really enjoy rekindling old friendships and hearing the laughter that erupts when this happens.

On the subject of friendship, Jack Payne brought forth a great suggestion I want to put on the table. Jack and Hound Call encourages each of us to seek out five friends from high school who we have not seen since those days. Each time contact is made with one of these old friends, encourage that "found" friend to find five friends they haven't seen since school days. Call it a Friendship Chain, or in the instance of "old" Hounds, a Kennel Chain. Each link is likely to put you in touch with a pal from long ago. When you secure a "new" address for an "old" friend share it with Hound Call so that all can hear our collective voices sharing news of Newport then and now. Thanks Jack for a keen idea!

Troubled waters - Early in the week Mountain Home got more than twelve inches of rain in a 36 hour time frame. Places in southern Missouri experienced similar rainfalls. The downpour has translated into troubled flood waters around the towns located down stream including Newport. I passed through Newport on Thursday traveling between Jonesboro and Batesville. State highways 14, 69, 157, and 226 were all closed due to high waters complicating the trip. I have discovered that the detours of life often provide fun experiences. These highway closings presented an opportunity for me to drive down U. S. Highway 367 (old Highway 67) over the blue bridge in Newport to Olyphant, Possum Grape and Bradford before jumping over to Denmark to reach Highway 167 to approach Batesville from the south. Driving through these towns brought back many memories of more youthful days. And the water that surrounded me on these roadways took me back to December 1982 when the last big flood consumed this area. December of 1982 was the month I returned to live in Newport after spending a few years in Little Rock . . . water, water everywhere.

March Madness - I always like the excitement this time of year when the best of college basketball is center stage. There have been some really good games played on this first weekend of the NCAA tournament. Arkansas' Hogs were schooled today by my good friends Mary Wynne and Grady Perryman's adopted North Carolina Tar Heels, but they did have an excellent outing in the first round against Indiana. Guess I will go cry in my beer. Go Hogs!

I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought I'd see you again

It is a good time to reach out to an old friend.

I remain Miles from Nowhere . . .
joe

No comments:

Post a Comment